Monday 13 April 2015

Game of Thrones: S05E01: "The Wars To Come"

In A Nutshell

Most people are licking their wounds from those affected by last season's finale. Cersei and Jaime are both feeling vulnerable now Tywin is gone, and also feeling somewhat upset by matters, despite both having their issues with their father. Tyrion and Varys are living it up in a posh get-up over the other side of the sea, where Tyrion is enjoying the wine and Varys reveals some of his political past and future. Stanis is keeping himself warm at The Wall, where the ever grumpy bitter looking Mance Rayder refuses to bend the knee and goes out in a blaze of glory. Daenerys feels a rebellion coming on, especially with her dragons feeling much like the slaves she just freed. Sansa and Littlefinger go on a journey. Podrick meanwhile is left to feel pretty useless.

What I liked

The opening credits don't have Winterfell smouldered in ashes anymore, but the Boltons have tidied it up and are ruling. Nice to see it looking like it did back in Season One. Almost everyone must have given a gentle cheer when Stannis said he wants to reclaim Winterfell from the Boltons, surely?

Any scene with Varys and Tyrion in is always a joy to watch.

What I Didn't Like

I'm probably one of the few not doing backflips over Daenerys' progress and scenes. I find her obnoxious and a little dull, although pretty to look at. I'm sort of hoping she doesn't get to power. Her mission to the throne is a long plot-arc, and feels like an obvious direction for the show to go, but this is a show that throws spanners in the works (Or crossbows/arrows) so I am hoping that things will go pear shaped for her one day.

Huh?

That was Lancel Lannister dressed up like a mini-Varys talking with Cersei, so I read elsewhere. I didn't have a clue who he was. Sometimes I think this show could do with a "Previously On ..." before the opening titles.

A new Game of Thrones book coming out, based on "Where's Wally?". It's called "Where's Drogon?" I barely knew those dragons had names until recently.

"My bit is missing, but honestly I do have a bit there."
Did the Daario actor pay the director to strategically place items in all his scenes to hide his manhood? It was so obvious that his "bits" were being put out of sight, that it was strange. They don't usually withhold all the human body bits. Not that I missed seeing them. I just noticed the oddity of it all.

And Finally

So, it was a tame episode, sort of like a stroll into the shopping centre on a Wednesday afternoon; everyone going about their business quietly. Not a lot to get one's teeth in or go "WTF!?" about but we all need a break from that every so often don't we?

Rating: 6 out of 10 (Solid, if somewhat unspectacular opener)

No comments:

Post a Comment